Breaking up is hard to do. Whether it was a mutual decision or a heart-wrencher, the Lord wants to be the object of your rebound. Here are five messages for prayer to allow the Lord to take an active role in your healing.
1. Comfort- Psalm 34:18-20- The righteous cry out, the Lord hears and he rescues them from all their afflictions. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, saves those whose spirit is crushed. Many are the troubles of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him from them all.
Prayer Prompt: The darkest day in history was the day God died. What could be more hopeless and terrifying? Yet, through the cross, the Lord brought about new life and Resurrection. No one understands pain, betrayal, and unrequited love like Jesus. Let him unite His suffering to yours, so you can also share in His reward.
2. Loneliness- Isaiah 43:1-5- Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name: you are mine. When you pass through waters, I will be with you; through rivers, you shall not be swept away. When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned, nor will flames consume you. For I, the Lord, am your God, the Holy One of Israel, your savior… Because you are precious in my eyes and honored, and I love you… Fear not, for I am with you.
Prayer Prompt: One of the lines in the prayer, Anima Christi says, “Within your wounds, hide me.” During the hardest time of doubt and fear in my own life, I used this image often, asking God to comfort my loneliness and fear by placing me within His Sacred Heart. No one can comprehend the intimacy with which Jesus loves us and united Himself to us, especially in our weakness.
3. Trusting God’s Will- 1 Corinthians 2:9- But as it is written: “What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him.
Prayer Prompt: Your vocation has a name. While it may be impossible to imagine now, the Lord has a best way for you to unite yourself to Him in Heaven. When things are their hardest, we can’t forget to trust the one who knows the last chapter in our love story. God’s plans always exceed our wildest dreams.
4. Forgiveness- Luke 6:27-28- But to you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
Prayer Prompt: Your ex may or may not feel like your enemy at this moment- but the key to forgiveness is wanting the other to know and love God to their greatest capacity. Fr. Mike Scanlan suggested that we ask the Lord to make those who’ve hurt us even holier than we are if that is His Will. It’s hard to stay angry with someone forever when you earnestly want their sanctity. Pray for them and when the time comes entrust them to Jesus and let them go.
5. Healing- Mark 5:34- He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has saved you. Go in peace and be cured of your affliction.”
Prayer Prompt: In the Gospels, when people approach Jesus for healing, He first forgives them of their sins. Make your way to reconciliation and give the Lord a clear path of purity to move forward with His healing desires. Additionally, the only thing that can paralyze God in His work in us is our lack of trust. Have the faith that God is the Divine Physician and He will prescribe a regimen of healing if you allow Him!